Palm Valley 4WD Day Tour
A maze of sandstone amphitheatres, pinnacles, gorges and home to the Red Cabbage Palm after which the valley is named. Palm Valley – Finke Gorge National Park is located 138km west of Alice Springs with the last 16km of road limited to 4WD vehicles only. A great adventure in the red centre of Australia!
About the Palm Valley
Palm Valley, located within Finke Gorge National Park is one of the most impressive places in central Australia. Finke Gorge National Park covers an area of 46,000 hectares. Palm Valley is famous for its red cabbage palm which exists nowhere else in the world, a relic of a wetter age when Australia was covered with tropical vegetation. The entire park contains a diverse range of other plant species many of which are rare and unique to the area. Finke Gorge National Park and surrounding areas are of great cultural significance to the Western Arrernte Aboriginal people. The Park also has several places of historical significance where early European settlement took place.
Palm Valley is located 138km west of Alice Springs. It takes about 2 hours to drive there. The last section of the road follows the sandy bed of the Finke River and is limited to 4WD vehicles only.
About the Tour
The tour will start with a short drive through the West MacDonnell Ranges where we make our way to the Historic Precinct of Hermannsburg for a light breakfast. When we depart Hermannsburg, we’ll travel along the ancient Finke river bed with a custom built 4WD. The next stop will be Cycad Gorge and then its a short 4WD drive into Palm Valley where you will be able to wander amongst the relict Palms and Cycads. Here you will have the opportunity to complete to Rim Walk or the River Walk and experience this incredible Oasis in the desert. On the return journey you will have a picnic lunch before the short walk up to Kalaranga Lookout, before heading back to Alice Springs watching the sunset lights reflecting on the MacDonnell Ranges.
What you need to know…
- Palm Valley is accessible all year round except when the Finke River is in flood.
- The cooler months from April to September are the best time of the year to visit and camp but if you visit in summer it can be very hot.
- Palm Valley has a great little camping area with shady sites, showers, toilets and communal bbqs if you wish to camp overnight.
- The Kalaranga Lookout is an easy 20 minute climb with spectacular views of the sandstone amphitheatre
- The tour departs Alice Springs 7.30AM and returns 5.30PM. You will be picked up and dropped off directly at your accommodation.
- Please wear comfortable clothes, a hat and stay hydrated in summer.
Book Now your 4WD adventure call 08 8929 1609
Tours start from $145
© Emu Run
For bookings and more information feel free to contact our Reception on 08 8929 1609 during business hours or enquire now at email@example.com.